Sunday, November 30, 2008

Outside reading

The majority of my reading this weekend was focused toward the Rosetta Stone language program to learn Italian. This program has an image appear on the screen and a sentence with a voice that reads it in Italian. This program is a unique way to learn a language because they do not tell you what the foreign vocabulary means, you have to figure it out with the pictures and patterns that would make sense for the word. I found that my background of french was very helpful for learning Italian because several words are very similar and many grammatical sentence formations work similarly as in the french language. I went to a french immersion elementary school as a child and I learned the language very quickly, as in I could speak it very well. Although, I had trouble writing sentences when I learned that way. On the other hand, with the Rosetta Stone way of learning a foreign language I found that sentences are quite painless to form but when thinking of sentences to say, it is difficult to remember all of the vocabulary and how to pronounce it. I highly recommend trying out a new language. Rosetta Stone is fairly expensive so I recommend borrowing one from a friend, that is what I did. I know English, French, Sign Language, and working on Italian and I can't wait to find out what life will swing at me next!

2 comments:

muffin said...

omg, that is so amazing i mite try that since i am going to Milan,Italy for the summer. Italian is a hard language i can understand it but nit speak back. Your blog inspired me to really learn the language, i dont think it would be that hard because i once spoke it but forgot hahaha
Nice blog AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Roehl said...

First of all, I'm jealous that Edna gets to go to Milan. Second, Anna I hope that you get a trip to Italy soon to practice your newfound skills.