Sunday, November 30, 2008

Outside reading

Today while I was enjoying the last few hours of my thanksgiving break I spent some of my time in my living room with sister, by the fire reading a target magazine. As we were admiring all of the great bargains, sales and great deals we came upon a special offer. This offer was an opportunity to receive a five dollar gift card to target as long as you purchase 2 items "listed below". These items were very reasonable every day objects such as Bounty paper towels and Tide laundry detergent. I find this marketing technique as a very strong was to get people to come to your store, be happy with what they spent, and come again as a happy customer. I also like this because the average person tends to fall into the slippery slope of purchasing items just for the fact that they are on sale. Unless someone saw this add in the magazine which is a definite possibility, it is more unlikely that someone will impulsively buy these items because of the special deal they offer. Unlike sale items they do not have a bright yellow sticker over the original price showing you how much you could save. This could help an impulsive buyer to resist the temptation and just buy what is needed. On the other hand, if these average item are needed, they get to save money in the future. I see this as a win win situation and I have great respect for the Target corporation and how they proceed to run their business.

No comments: