Sunday, October 19, 2008

Outside Reading

I was reading the second chapter of the book "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbra Kingslover. My mom recommended me to read it and it was very fascinating. It tell you that in a year, every person consumes roughly 400 gallons of oil. It also says that if every person ate one meal every week that was all organic and home grown we could reduce our oil consumption through food by about 1.1 million barrels of oil per week. This does not seem hard to do and I think everyone should know about this and practice this every week. Another plus to this weekly goal could be that since we will be buying from local farms, it may help small businesses. Also, if people decide to do this, it could help our economy because we will be spending less money on transportation and oil and receive more money in profit for the sellers.

2 comments:

Ms. Roehl said...

I read this book this summer and really enjoyed it.

Britta said...

I wish we could all do that, but in reality until we are forced to there will always be people who want to live their life the way they want to. I have an aunt and uncle who live in a nice house out in the country and have a bunch of hunting dogs. She is a professional caterer and he owns the post office but they eat all organic food and support local farmers. If only more people were like this.