Sunday, December 7, 2008

outside reading

Over the weekend I found myself cooking some holiday fudge, but I had a few issues. You see, I followed the recipe as close as I could but even then I made a mistake. I put the sugar mix, evaporated milk, and butter on the stove and brought it to a boil. Then, this is where I made the mistake. I read put morsels into the pan and stir vigorously. So, I put the small marshmallows in and stirred until they were all melted. I looked back at the recipe to see what was next. It did not make sense! The next step was to pour the whole mixture into the tin, but the picture was a brown chocolaty mixture flowing from the pan, and mine was still white. I did not put the chocolate in. After I realised this foolish mistake I quickly drooped the chocolate in and stirred vigorously. By the time the chocolate was melted I assume the mixture was cooler than intended. As I poured it into the tin, it had a fairly thick consistency. I had never made this fudge (clearly) so I thought nothing of it. But, two hours later when I took it out of the fridge to see how it turned out, it was very textured on the top, and not very appealing. I blame the consistency before, when I was pouring the mixture into the tin. It was too thick, therefore too hard to smooth out to make an appealing too texture. This is why it is important to always read carefully, especially when it is unfamiliar material.

No comments: