Monday, February 16, 2009

Outside reading: Gender and Gender Roles

I read an article on gender roles and how people thought they should be. There was a survey that many people took to get the statistics for the article. It also talked about where gender roles came from. One view they had on that issue was on how they were raised, or how their parents used gender roles to raise a family. They also said how the male and female brain is different and how men and women are smarter in certain subjects. For instance, women are often stronger in language in the left side of the brain. In this survey they asked people their opinions and I was suprised on how many people, both men and women, wanted gender roles to be like they were "before". How I took this was when men were the bread winners and women did all the domestic help around the house work. Although some people want that to be the way our society runs, I do not think that people who want jobs outside of their "gender role" should be limited to do so. Yes, men and women are common in their own ways but not everyone has the same aspirations and are good at the same things, thank goodness. If that was true, it would be surprising how much did not get done. Society gave us gender roles it is our choice to use them how we think they should get done.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/gender/gender22a.htm

No comments: